The Stud City Fire Department was founded in 1932, after the collapse of several local fire companies that where privately owned. The city, managed to consolidate many of the firehouses and equipment, and founded the first structured department. At the time, the department was called the Studington Fire Corps. It wasn't until 1941 that a massive population growth hit the city, with the boom of the second World War, that the Fire Corps saw its first restructure.
The restructure called for a lot of changes in the way the department would operate, because of the war, the Studington ship yards where a non-stop work place, and munitions depots all over the town where exporting hundreds of crates daily. August 17th, 1941, the Wilson Munitions depot caught fire, all 8 companies of the Corps responded, but where unable to control the blaze, tragically loosing 6 firefighters, and 23 civilians. The incident called for a new, better and larger department to protect the town. After several meetings from town hall officials, it was concluded that the Town of Studington, would allocate funds to improve the fire department. This included the opening of 4 new fire houses, and establishment of 7 new fire companies.
In 1943, the towns of East Studington and Studington merged, to form what today is known as Stud City. The merge of the towns led the Fire Department to be officially named the Stud City Fire Department, and added 3 new fire houses from East Studington to the department.
1955 Stud City received its first two Rescue Companies, a pair of Mack C's with custom body work done by Seagrave. The rescue companies proved to be a resourceful unit for the department and plans for a third company where soon elaborated. 1957 the third rescue is added to the fleet.
During the span of 1960 to 1968 four new engine companies and 2 truck companies where added to the fleet, along with three new fire houses. This brought the total engine count to 11 engines and 5 truck companies, along with the 3 rescues in the city.
In 1969, Stud City opened up 3 new fire stations, and created two new engine companies and one tower ladder. The department also purchased its first fire boat, to better protect the Stud City Port. Two years later, the Stud City Transit Authority began construction of a subway system, connecting most of down-town. In 1973, a portable generator caught fire in the Touffet Station tunnel, causing 3 workers to die of smoke inhalation and claiming the life of 1 SCFD firefighter. The incident know as the Touffet Tunnel fire, once again called for new procedures to be added. That same year new rescue apparatus where purchased, along with two new tillers, establishing Truck 7, the final truck company in the city.
During the mid 70's all the way to 1980, the City faced major budget issues, including a political scandal that found the mayor, and two Stud City town hall members guilty of corruption. 3 firehouse where closed, Engine 8, Engine 13 and Truck 7. In addition, many companies where left to fend for themselves having to provide gear and equipment from their pockets as the city could not fund new gear. It wasn't until November, 1980, that federal founds where awarded to the department for much needed upgrades.
In 1984, Rescue 4 was established, and formerly defunct companies, Engine 8 and 13 where re-established. The same year, the department was divided in to a new battalion system, splitting the department in Battalion 1 and Battalion 2. 1987 Stud City took over the Pine Ridge forest, north of the city, and funding was given to open a new Forestry division.
For a brief period, Truck 7 was re-established in 1989, but closed after that summer. The company was then re-established in 1992 to 1998 when it was finally closed. In 1999 the department was re-numbered, and companies where re-assigned under a new plan. The re-structure organized the battalions with 7 engines in the first, and 6 in the second, as well as 3 trucks and 2 rescues in each.
Currently, plans are being worked out for a expansion of the department. The town of West Studington's government has closed its doors after going bankrupt. Stud City will be incorporating the 230 square mile town in to the City limits and will merge all its city services, including fire, police and sanitation. With the new incorporation, which is under way, the department has acquired 2 new engine companies, and a truck company. Plans for a extra engine and truck are also underway, which would mean re-establishing Truck Co. 7 for a third time. Funding from the previous administration has secured that all firefighters working for the West Studington Fire Department be paid until 2017. Stud City has already offered all 46 firefighters, 8 officers and its fire chief, job positions in the department, starting the 2018 fiscal year.